At Startupixel, we would love to take the opportunity to thank you for following us 🙂 we look forward to serving you with even more resources and tips next year! Have a great one!
Month: December 2015
INSEAD has been known as a consulting school among MBA candidates. But do you know that INSEAD is second in terms of number of CEOs in the world and is also well-known for amount of funding raised by INSEAD graduated entrepreneurs? Here’s a list of start-ups by INSEAD alumni:
A guru in property that recently raised $130 mil in funding, Propertyguru is started by finnish INSEAD alumni, Jani Rautiainen. Their recent round of investments include investors such as U.S. private equity firm TPG.
One of the disruptors in grocery shopping in SE Asia, Redmart is started by INSEAD alumni, Roger Egan III and Vikram Rupani. Click here for the Techinasia article on how Redmart revolutionize grocery shopping.
One of the top start-ups in Fintech, Prodigy Loan is started by INSEAD alumni Michael Ullmann and Ryan Steele.
Click here for Prodigy Loan being one of the top fundraisers on Finovate.
David Chambat, founder of Villa-Finder was an MBA student at INSEAD Singapore.The management team never sought funds and remains bootstrapped. It has expanded to cover locations in Phuket, Samui, and Sri Lanka.
Tom Lokenvitz, an INSEADer, started Smove – an e-vehicles platform in Singapore, Smove has raised US$1.1M funding round led by Rebright Partners in 2014.
Other start-ups started by INSEAD alumni:
1. ActSocial (formerly Wildfire) – a social media intelligence startup started by INSEAD alumni, Christoph-Zrenner and Benjamin Duvall. It was acquired two months ago by Linkfluence, a global social media intelligence firm based in Europe.
2. TabSquare – a tablet based e-menu for restaurants founded by INSEAD alumni, Anshul Gupta and Sankaran Sreeraman.
4. Edit Suits – website selling made-to-measure men’s clothes is started by INSEAD alumnus Reto Peter.
5. Crowdonomic -Is a crowdfunding platform started by INSEAD alumni, Leo Shimada and Nicola Castelnuovo. Crowdonomic has recently obtained the license to provide equity in KL to help small businesses raise funds.
6. Rumie – Is non profit which brings digital education to the underprivileged, started by INSEAD alumnus, Tariq Fancy.
7. Ethnicraft Online – started by INSEAD alumni, Jonathan Roelandts and Katrien Bollen, founded Ethnicraft Online, which uses a hybrid model that combines an online store with a physical showroom in Jingan, China.
Please email me at elise(dot)tan(at)insead(dot)com if I miss out any company!
Sign up for the Startupixel mailing list and be the first to receive a weekly mailing list. Here’s some of the information we shared in the first weekly mail.
News/ Resources in VC and Startup scene in Singapore and the region:
Starting a company in Singapore in the future? This is an article that you need to bookmark. There are many government grants or funding starting from $50,000 for zero equity and assistance in Singapore so make full use of them.
Aside from the news above, I would like to share that in Asia and particularly Singapore, Rocket internet has become well known in the industry for having deep pockets and being swift and relentless in creating or investing in startups that scale rapidly. Many of the employees at Rocket have also gone on to start their own businesses like hipvan,com and shopback.com. Wanting to get a taste of running a startup before doing so yourself? Maybe Rocket internet is a good way to get started.
In Singapore, besides the regular taxis, passengers now have Uber as well as Malaysia-born Grabtaxi. So for those starting in Fonty, you can use the same Uber app as you have in your country and also enjoy first time sign up credits on Grabtaxi to get around 🙂 In China, Didi is the ‘uber’ and it has been invested by Ten Cent and GSR Ventures and in India, there is Ola.
If you are interested in specifically healthcare VC/PE deals, I recommend reading the pulse publication of Julien de Salaberry
GET IN TOUCH
If you’ve any feedback, just leave a comment and love to hear your comment!
For the latest startup news, Follow me on twitter.com/elisetanyl
Read my posts on Techinasia: www.techinasia.com/author/elise-tan/
Add me on Linkedin